Proposal: Generalize the RandomGen and Random classes

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 18:53:13 EDT 2010

All,
There has been precious few comments on this proposal (ending in 2
days).  Conversation has thus far been:

Accept (1 - me)
No - Random is H98 and changing it is not acceptable (2 - Milan, Yitz)
Unknown Stance (2 - SPJ, Antonie Latter)

Mostly I'm hoping for more comments.  If you found the splittable
debate of value then I'd imagine this aspect of Random would concern
you too.

Yitz:
> If those extensions
> are all added to Haskell 2011 or whatever, then it could be considered.

AFAIK, all accepted parts of Haskell standards are implemented FIRST
(typically as a GHC extension or package) then considered for
Haskell'.  The Haskell2010 and Haskell98 packages, which you can
import, can contain their own definition of System.Random - this could
be static without stagnating all libraries that are mentioned in a
Haskell standard.

Milan:
> I personally do not think it is worth to modify the Random module, which
> dates back to at least Haskell 98. Maybe a new package on the Hackage?

So because it is old we can't modify it?  The point of changing the
library is to benefit a broader portion of the community.  We could
stop any and all changes to package X and make a new package every
time but this isn't a sufficient argument to me.

If peoples only objections are compatibility then we can queue this
change up with the next API breaking change, unless there will never
again be such a change.

Cheers,
Thomas