Haskell Platform Proposal: add the 'text' library

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 13:33:54 EDT 2010

I'm not sure I agree with the principle of least surprise here. Dealing
correctly with text is hard and the text package presents a nice API for it.
Surprise is good, here, I think: many developers out there don't even
realize ASCII isn't good enough for text, and even the unicode-aware might
not realize that indexing into text or case-insensitive matching are
non-trivial operations. Forcing them to fix their code (through compilation
errors) seems like a good idea, to me.

A new module, Data.Text.ListCrutch, could contain an exact duplicate of the
Data.List functions with warnings attached to them warning (through
deprecated pragmas?) users of the library that text is not simply a list of
characters, and they should stop treating it as such.