Haskell Platform Proposal: add the 'text' library

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 01:52:38 EDT 2010

On 10 October 2010 16:24, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at serpentine.com> wrote:
> Do we have a collective opinion about revision control or bug tracking for
> Platform libraries? I'm about done using darcs for anything where I don't
> need to. I've been thinking about publishing the repo, and hosting bugs, on
> github instead. Any reason not to?

I personally don't like sites such as github, gitorious, patch-tag,
etc. for one overriding reason: projects are instantly oriented around
the lead developer.

This is all fine and good if you are the only developer.  However,
what happens if (shock, horror!) you decide you want to stop using
Haskell?  The location of the main source repository is now changed
completely (this also happens when someone switches VCS or location of
their main repo, and can get annoying when you don't realise this and
start writing patches against a year old snapshot when HEAD is
completely different).

Obviously for some projects people already have them in personal
hosting site.  However, the nice thing about using code.haskell.org
for your Haskell projects is that the main focus of the project is
that it's for _Haskell_ and not on the main developer.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com