Haskell Platform Proposal: add the 'text' library

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Oct 11 16:51:46 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 09:12:33PM +0100, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> of the Data.Text package on the basis that Char/Text are the "same"
> thing, then it may become clearer how to resolve the apparent name/type
> clashes below.

But this doesn't allow the multi-Char functions to be added to
byetstring/List with the same name. For example:

>> split       -         -              Text -> Text -> [Text]
>> -           -         split          Char -> Text -> [Text]
>
>   split       -         split          Text -> Text ->  [Text]
>
> Proposal: these are equivalent, no action,

I can do
    split "\r\n"
or
    split ", "
etc with a text, but not with a bytestring, and if we agree to add that
functionality to bytestring then we'll have to call it splitString or
splitMany or some other, different, name.

Thanks
Ian