Remove some apparerntly dead TH functions

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Oct 21 04:14:44 EDT 2010

This is a library propsal.  There are a handful of functions in the template-haskell package, module Language.Haskell.TH.Lib, that are defined in that module, but are not used, and are not exported by the main Template Haskell interface Language.Haskell.TH.
I propose to nuke them. I assume no one is using them (since they are not exported by the main interface), and I'm not keen on the API of rename. Moreover, rename becomes signficantly more compilcated with the advent of view patterns.
The functions are:
combine :: [([(Name, Name)], Pat)] -> ([(Name, Name)], [Pat])
  -- Seems to be a helper for rename
rename :: Pat -> Q ([(Name, Name)], Pat)
genpat :: Pat -> Q ((Name -> ExpQ), Pat)
alpha :: [(Name, Name)] -> Name -> ExpQ

simpleMatch :: Pat -> Exp -> Match
  -- This is the most defensible; it's a "smart constructor"
Deadline 2 weeks.
Simon