Haskell Platform Proposal: add the 'text' library

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 04:52:57 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Gregory Collins
<greg at gregorycollins.net> wrote:
> Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> writes:
>> I personally don't like sites such as github, gitorious, patch-tag,
>> etc. for one overriding reason: projects are instantly oriented around
>> the lead developer.
>
> A counterexample: http://github.com/snapframework/snap-server
>
> And as someone else pointed out, github has "organization" accounts now.

Here's another example. The Clojure programming language is hosted on
GitHub as an organization.

    http://github.com/clojure

I'd like to merge network-bytestring into network, but since network
is hosted in darcs that would mean having to switch to darcs in
development flow which I prefer not to.

I could just move network to GitHub, but I'd feel a bit bad about
doing that since it's a community maintained library. If we had a
Haskell organization on GitHub the package wouldn't have to be hosted
under my name and other people could have commit access as well.

P.S. I saw that text recently (with the latest release) moved off
code.haskell.org to GitHub/BitBucket.

Johan