Proposal: Don't require users to use undefined

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Oct 27 01:57:49 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Henning Thielemann
> <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>
>> 4. In the future you may deprecate the immediate use of 'sizeOf' and
>> 'alignment'.
>
> We could deprecate sizeOf immediately in favor of sizeOfTagged.
> Deprecating it doesn't break any code but does gives warnings so that
> users are encouraged to upgrade. I don't see a reason to wait.

We can't immediately switch to using sizeOfTagged since many people
will still be using old versions of base. If we waited one cycle to
deprecate the old functions, it won't annoy people. By the next cycle,
in theory a majority of people will already have sizeOfTagged, and it
would be feasible to switch our code to sizeOf.

Michael