Merging network and network-bytestring: license question

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Thu Oct 28 22:48:56 EDT 2010

On 10/28/10 10:24 PM, Johan Tibell wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 6:41 PM, wren ng thornton<wren at freegeek.org>  wrote:
>> Why not just stick with network's BSD3 (modifying "the university" to "the
>> copyright holders" or what have you)?
>
> Is that something I'm allowed to do? I'm not the copyright holder.

You are the copyright holder of network-bytestring, and the University
of Glasgow is the copyright holder of network, right? Given the verbiage:

     Neither name of the University nor the names of its contributors
     may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
     software without specific prior written permission.

Additionally stating that:

     Neither name of Johan Tibell nor the names of its contributors
     may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
     software without specific prior written permission.

does not compromise the original requirement to get permission from the
University to use their name promotionally. Combining the two as "the
copyright holders" or "the University, its contributors, nor Johan
Tibell" etc, would have the same effect as the two versions of clause 3
stated separately. If someone wanted to use the University's name (or
yours) then they'd have to get their (or your) permission in writing,
same as if stated separately.

Of course, since network-bytestring doesn't have the third clause,
presumably you'd be willing to give written permission to anyone who
asks. In which case you could just leave the old verbiage with "the
University...[or]...its contributors". Under one interpretation you
would count as one of "its contributors" anyways once the packages merge.

IANAL, but that is the interpretation that makes sense to me given what
I know of licensing.

--
Live well,
~wren