Haskell Platform Proposal: add the 'text' library

Krasimir Angelov kr.angelov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 23:37:20 EDT 2010

2010/9/8 Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at serpentine.com>:
> It doesn't really. As you note, the stuff in base is all tied to I/O on
> Handles, whereas the functions in the text package are pure.

It doesn't mean that it is not possible to make them pure. The
operations are pure in nature.

> Unfortunately, that's not possible, as it would break backwards
> compatibility with 6.10, which some industrial users still need.

I guess you mean that then the text package will not work with 6.10. I
prefer to have some intermediate version of text for compatibility
rather than to nail down this lack of synergy forever. I still think
that it is premature to add the text package if it is not in synchrony
with the existing packages.