Haskell Platform Proposal: add the 'text' library

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Wed Sep 8 00:53:03 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Krasimir Angelov <kr.angelov at gmail.com>wrote:

> Exactly. But it is probably possible to make version of text which
> with 6.10 uses some copy of the routines and with 6.12 uses the
> routines in base.

It might be possible, but I am not going to do it :-)

For now at least the API should be made compatible with base.

I'm afraid not. The TextEncoding type ties encoding and decoding together,
when in pure code you need just one or the other. The TextEncoding design is
fine for read/write Handles, where you may need both, but it does not make
sense for pure code, where the current API provided by text is more
appropriate.