Haskell Platform Proposal: add the 'text' library

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Fri Sep 10 17:18:14 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:03 PM, wren ng thornton <
wren at community.haskell.org> wrote:

> Yes, that was my point. I can see uses for (Text->...),
> ((Text->Bool)->...), and ((Char->Bool)->...) but the middle one ---which
> seems to be the closest analogue to String and ByteString--- is missing. The
> first one is posited as a replacement for the middle one, but it is
> insufficient since it cannot perform disjunctive searches.

I don't think anyone posited it as a replacement for the middle one? We
could replace Char->Bool with Text->Bool, but it would be slower (and yes,
that matters to me). I don't intend to add it myself, but you're welcome to
put together a patch and a set of QuickCheck tests.

> Why do we not just have the middle ((Text->Bool)->...) option?

Because you can't do a Boyer-Moore search off it.