Proposal #3339: Add (+>) as a synonym for mappend

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 07:45:19 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 1:17 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Duncan Coutts <
> duncan.coutts at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Should we reconsider Data.Monoid.<> if we can't make it work with the
>> pretty package?
>

> I don't think so. Monoid is much more important then pretty. I also think
> we need to stop trying to make globally unique identifiers. It doesn't
> scale. Stop it. :)

That and any other name we pick is just as likely to be fraught with
similar issues.

If we really do insist on re-bikeshedding this, I think the only other
viable contender is the existing infixr 5 >< from Data.Sequence. Then you
could encourage people to switch but not break anyone who imports both
Data.Monoid and pretty. (and it becomes easier for me to push for the
inclusion of Data.Semigroup later, since the name wouldn't conflict).

Personally, I would be fine with either moving to >< or going with infixr 6
<> and just bumping the major version on pretty and sending out a warning
about the behavior change, just so long as we actually do it. We've been
talking about this for *2 and a half years* now. I'd just as soon be done
with it one way or the other.

-Edward