old-locale

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Tue Oct 25 14:40:41 CEST 2011

Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> According to  http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions ,
> old-locale is "maintained only for backward compatibility". And yet
> no-one can tell me where any new "locale" package is or why the old
> "locale" became "old-locale" or what might count as "forward"
> compatibility. Nor do I know of any particular problems with it, but
> then I haven't examined its subject area particularly closely.
> TBH I believe the best course of action is to consider old-locale not to
> be "old" or deprecated in any way, and for the libraries list to
> continue to maintain it like any other package, should issues arise.

I propose that we change the name of old-locale to time-locale.

It is a very simple, harmless package, containing only a data type
representing the locale information needed by the time package.
It has no dependence on any other locale or i18n infrastructure.

But the name, besides being wrong, sounds very scary.
Locale is a huge, complex issue and a moving target.
And this is "old", to boot. From the name, you would be
almost certain that this package involves serious problems.

Independently of my proposal to change the name,
I also propose that the package description and module
haddock comment be changed to state clearly what this
package is and is not.

Thanks,
Yitz