Proposal: New Eq and Ord instances for Double and Float

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 26 12:01:27 CEST 2011

On 26 September 2011 10:53, Roman Leshchinskiy <rl at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Daniel Fischer wrote:
>> Proposal: Provide Double and Float with Eq and Ord instances that
>> introduce a total order.
>
> I'm strongly against this, for the reasons that have already been
> mentioned.   and because there a good reasons for why the IEEE semantics
> is the way it is. Also, performance is going to suffer horribly.

Just in case we need any more votes on this, I agree with Bryan and
Roman. Float and Double are specified by the IEEE and we should just
do whatever crazy thing it is they specify.

Going further and supporting more of the IEEE spec would be
interesting (like signalling NANs reflected as exceptions).

Duncan