Proposal: Add newUniqueSTM to Data.Unique

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 20:56:55 CEST 2012

I was wondering if it would be possible to resolve this issue one way or
the other. The discussion trailed off last year. Ed Yang proposed switching
back to an IORef. and Bas benchmarked things showing a slight benefit to
the IORef version.

As it stands unsafePerformIO newUnique expands to unsafePerformIO $
atomically $ do ...

which is unsound and can cause the runtime to crash out on you rather
unexpectedly.

The only vote during the discussion period was a +1 for reverting to the
IORef.

-Edward