[Haskell] Types of when and unless in Control.Monad

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sat Apr 21 22:00:42 CEST 2012

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012, Andreas Abel wrote:

> While your comments about not ignoring results of functions may be right, in
> the particular case of when and unless the situation is different.  Since
> both are basically an if-then without an else, the expression *cannot* yield
> a result, just execute the monadic effect. Thus, confusion is unlikely.

I don't understand this argument. The current type of 'when' is

> when :: (Monad m) => Bool -> m () -> m ()

thus it makes sure, that the enclosed action has no result that could be
ignored by accident. If the function would be

> when_ :: (Monad m) => Bool -> m a -> m ()

then you could write

> when_ b (system "command")

and thus miss the ExitCode of 'system' by accident.

> I have defined myself when_ and unless_ but I think it is silly, the library
> functions could be more general.

Since you think that the current 'when's type is silly, I would like to
know what are your examples where you want to ignore the result of the
enclosed action?