HP 2012.4.0.0 -- Call for Proposals

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Wed Aug 22 07:29:59 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012, Mark Lentczner wrote:
> Please see the process for
> [Adding Packages](http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/AddingPackages).
>
> Outstanding work...

Just to clarify:

Since Mark referenced the policy page, I assume that
means we need to adhere to it at least to some degree
before a package can be added to the platform.

If so, there must be a proposal page on the Trac Wiki
before we can consider a package. Therefore, there
is only ONE package so far that is a candidate: async.

A proposal page can be created by anyone,
not just the package maintainer. So if you are in favor
of a package other than async, you might better
spend your time working on a wiki page instead of
"voting" for a non-proposal.

All that said, it seems to me that we might not need
quite so much formal process for each package
addition. If there is serious discussion on these lists,
I personally would be willing to entrust the final
decision to a benevolent dictator. We could save
the formal process for periodic selection of the
dictator. A number of open source projects work
in this way.

Thanks,
Yitz