Growing Haskell Platform

J. Stutterheim j.stutterheim at me.com
Fri Dec 7 09:28:06 CET 2012

PHP's Zend Framework actually offers two releases[1]: a minimal release, and a full release. Perhaps we should consider a similar setup. "haskell-platform-minimal" would contain the same packages that are currently packaged with the platform, while "haskell-platform-full" would also contain several additional packages that significantly improve the Out of the Box experience. At least in the beginning, this setup with two platforms may make it easier to mature the new packages that we would like to include: "haskell-platform-minimal" would still offer the solid basis that the platform offers today, while "haskell-platform-full" is a work-in-progress towards a more feature-rich OOTB experience (which, of course, will eventually mature as well, at which point packages from "full" could be ported to "minimal").

Something completely different: I would very much like to see an email library be included by default as well. One that "just works".

Jurriën

[1] http://framework.zend.com/downloads/latest