Data.IntMap.Strict.findWithDefault is too strict

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at dfki.de
Fri Dec 14 10:46:46 CET 2012

It makes no sense to evaluate all branches of a case distinction before
deciding which branch to take. Therefore it is not possible (or more
difficult) in a strict language to user-define functions like if-then-else.

In fact, I consider findWithDefault to be just an abbreviation for a
case distinction. Even if the default value is not bottom, it makes no
sense to evaluate it in the possibly many cases, when it is not used.

The current implementation of strict maps does not work well as a
replacement for lazy maps and if it does it is less efficient than
possible, as it possibly evaluates something unneeded or merely checks
if the default value is already evaluated.

C.