Haskell Platform proposal: Add the vector package

Roman Leshchinskiy rl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Jul 16 17:17:56 CEST 2012

Simon Marlow wrote:

> Ah ok, so your concern was that you couldn't easily find out whether
> runST was safe or not?  If you look at the library docs:

Whether runST is safe or not has a huge impact on what ST code I can
declare Trustworthy even if I don't use runST at all. IMO, the fact that
ST code that doesn't do bounds checking must not be declared Trustworthy
should be stated somewhere prominent especially since this does *not*
apply to similar monads like IO and (presumably) STM. The library docs are
not really a good place for this - who would ever look at the
documentation of ST when figuring out Safe Haskell?

Roman