Data.Ratio and exceptions

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Jun 5 11:24:14 CEST 2012

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012, Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) wrote:

> Some functions in Data.Ratio call the error function. The following is
> an example:
>
>    recip (0:%_)        = error "Ratio.%: zero denominator"
>
> We cannot catch this error as ArithException since it is ErrorCall.
> Are there any reasons to not use ArithException?

It is intended that you do not divide by zero, also because it is so
simple to check it before calling the function. The best solution would
certainly be a number type that excludes zero values, such that division
by zero can be catched at compile time. But currently Haskell's type
system may not be expressive enough to handle this without a lot of
explicit type conversion.