The 'encoding' package maintainer?

Boris Kropivnitsky boris.kro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 18:53:51 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
<ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 June 2012 14:48, Boris Kropivnitsky <boris.kro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking for the maintainer of the 'encoding' library.  I tried to
>> use it for my little project, but it turned out that it has some
>> issues and needs some love.  So I've made a few fixes and it now works
>> reasonably well.  I thought the community will benefit if the new
>> version is made available.  I've tried to contact the author listed in
>> the .cabal file  but had no luck.  So I thought I'd ask for help here.
>
> I believe most people that want to deal with encodings use the text
> package nowadays, possibly with the text-icu package for even more
> encodings.

Yeah, text-icu is fantastic in terms of features.  One major downside
though is that it requires external library which is not easy to build
on some platforms (Windows).  Encoding, on the other hand, is a pure
Haskell library, and therefore is more approachable, especially for
new users.  That said, if text-icu was made more seamless to install,
it would ideal.