Proposal: Control.Concurrent.Async

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 12:07:48 CEST 2012

On 08/06/2012 10:41, Michael Snoyman wrote:

> What's the advantage to putting this in base instead of a separate
> package? If it goes in base, it will make it more difficult to upgrade,
> and take longer for this module to be adopted at all. If possible, I'd
> opt for a standalone package.

Uploading it to Hackage is certainly an option, and there are arguments
in both directions.  My thinking was:

  - it's a bit small for a package by itself. There's a lot of
    overhead for a package (github repo, Haskell Platform proposal,
    issue tracker, blah blah)

  - To avoid further fragmentation, I would like this package to
    be more visible, especially if we go to the trouble as a community
    of building some consensus around it.

  - The obvious package name 'async' is already taken

Cheers,
	Simon