Proposal: Control.Concurrent.Async

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Tue Jun 12 02:18:06 CEST 2012

On 6/9/12 4:32 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> Simon Marlow<marlowsd at gmail.com>  writes:
>
>>   - To avoid further fragmentation, I would like this package to
>>     be more visible, especially if we go to the trouble as a community
>>     of building some consensus around it.
>
> ...would it help to advertise the new `async` package in the appropriate
> places in the Haddoc documentation for `base` to make it more visible?

I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to have a "metabase package" which
includes all the modules which are, used to be, or 'should' be in base.
What I mean is not to have an actual package (in the ghc/hackage sense),
but just to have a single unified Haddock site that covers and
advertises all of:

* base

* the things broken out from base-3.0 (array, bytestring, containers,
directory, old-locale, old-time, packedstring, pretty, process,
random)--- modulo things like packedstring which have been deprecated.

* things broken out from base-4.0 (syb,...)

* things which 'should' be part of base (text? vector? async?)

* but not including all of the HP

Perhaps this already exists in an official incarnation somewhere, but if
so then it's poorly advertised. The url should be listed in the
description of the base package on Hackage, at the very least.

--
Live well,
~wren