Haskell platform proposal: the async package

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Wed Jun 13 21:39:31 CEST 2012

On 06/13/2012 02:56 PM, Simon Marlow wrote:
> I am making a formal proposal to have the async package included in the
> Haskell Platform:
>
>   http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/Proposals/async
>
> See the wiki paage for details, and a list of open issues for discussion.
>
> I just uploaded the async package itself to Hackage:
>
>   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/async-2.0.0.0
>
> documentation isn't there yet, so I've uploaded it here:
>
>   http://community.haskell.org/~simonmar/async/
>
> I have set the deadline to 13 August 2012 (2 months' time), with
> comments due by 13 July 2012 (one month).  There's plenty of time before
> the next platform release anyway (scheduled for 12 November 2012).

-0.

AFAIUI the HP is for battle-tested code and libraries where you can just
say "here, use this!" IMO async doesn't pass this test since it hasn't
seen any real use yet.

FWIW, the API does look very nice... but maybe we should give it a few
months of real use to flesh out real-world problems and bugs in general?

Regards,