Changes to Typeable

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Oct 4 09:22:34 CEST 2012

Crumbs, let's lay this ghost.  There is absolutely no danger (for GHC anyway) of making all types be Typeable without a visible constraint.  "seq" is bad enough (and arguably a mistake anyway).

My efficiency remark was solely about the type inference engine itself.  It has to answer the question "Is (Maybe (Tree Int)) a instance of Typeable?"  So it looks up in a big table to see, and finds an instance for (Typeable (a b)).  So now it needs (Typeable Maybe) and (Typeable (Tree Int)).  Off we go to the table to look for (Typeable Maybe).  But if *every* type constructor is in table, it'll be a big table, and we know the answer: yes, Maybe is an instance of Typeable, and its dictionary is called $dfTypeableMaybe.

That's all. I just hate looking things up when I know the answer.  But I only know the answer if *every* type is an instance.

So back to the Plan A vs Plan B discussion.

Simon