MIN_VERSION_foo() macro vs. CABAL-flag directed API-adaption

Simon Hengel sol at typeful.net
Tue Sep 18 12:59:53 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:41:50PM +0200, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
>    Is it always desirable to prefer the MIN_VERSION_ approach over a
>    CABAL-flag approach for supporting multiple API versions of a
>    dependent package (if both ways are possible)? And if not, when
>    should I prefer which approach?

I'm not aware of any advantages of Cabal-flags over MIN_VERSION.

If you use MIN_VERSION you can put

    :set -optP-include -optPdist/build/autogen/cabal_macros.h

into a .ghci, and included it in the packages repository.  That way you
can use GHCi when developing on that package, without passing any CPP
flags explicitly**.  For that reason I prefer the MIN_VERSION-approach.

Cheers,
Simon

** An initial `cabal configure && cabal build` is still required, so
that cabal_macros.h is generated.