Proposal: Adding generics-based rnf-helper to `deepseq`

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Fri Sep 21 12:11:50 CEST 2012

José Pedro Magalhães <jpm at cs.uu.nl> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr at gnu.org>wrote:
>
>> Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> writes:
>>
>> > On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
>> > ... a `deepseq` package compiled in "H98 compatibility
>> mode"... or am I overlooking something?

> Are you suggesting CPP?

Either that (this is how the `cereal` package does it for instance) or
by a pure CABAL solution, which switches between two internal .hs files
based on `impl(ghc >= 7.2)`, or maybe a CABAL-flag-based approach... so
this is just an implementation detail[1] which can be decided once it is
clear, whether adding `genericRnf` is a good idea at all

 [1]: another impleemtation detail would be, whether to make
      `genericRnf` visible directly in `Control.DeepSeq` or in a
      separate module such as `Control.DeepSeq.Generics`