Strictness of modify in Control.Monad.State.Strict

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 06:13:57 CEST 2012

The strictness of Control.Monad.State.Strict has to do with the strictness
of the tuple constructor, not of the state per se. The dichotomy between
Lazy and Strict comes from the competing desires to fake products as
categorical products that don't introduce _|_'s of their own and the lifted
products we have in Haskell which do. The former leads you to the .Lazy
model, the latter leads you to the .Strict model. The former is nicer for
certain lazy knot tying tricks. The latter is easier to reason about when
you start throwing fmap _|_'s around.

However, a Strict State or Writer is not actually strict in the state or
log. This is admittedly a somewhat common misconception.

My concern is that such a combinator would exacerbate this confusion and
that it doesn't generalize. e.g. This trick doesn't generalize to
Strict.Writer, where you can `tell'`, but then you lose than on the next
bind after you lazily smash it into something that is probably just mempty.

I'm not against noting that put/modify is not the thing that we are
'Strict' in more carefully though.

-Edward