A single general modification function for Map and IntMap proposal

Milan Straka fox at ucw.cz
Tue Apr 30 17:20:58 CEST 2013

Hi all,

last time we talked about adding
  lens :: k -> Map k a -> (Maybe a -> Map k a, Maybe a)
the performance of the direct implementation was actually worse than
using lookup+insert or such, see the thread
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2012-January/017423.html
and the benchmark results at
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2012-January/017435.html

I am also a bit worried whether withItem is the "right" general
function. For example Shachaf Ben-Kiki mentions the
  at :: (Ord k, Functor f) => k -> (Maybe i -> f (Maybe i)) -> Map k i -> f (Map k i)
from the lens package in other mail, but maybe there are others.

>    1. Implement an efficient version of "withItem" for lazy and strict versions of "Map" and "IntMap".

Maybe we will need a benchmark to see whether withItem is really faster
than combination of lookup+update.

>    3. Begin the deprecation process of the following functions: insertWith, insertWithKey, insertLookupWithKey, adjust, adjustWithKey, update, updateWithKey, updateLookupWithKey, alter.

I am against deprecating insertWith, insertWithKey, updateWithKey,
updateWithKey, because they are useful.

I am against deprecating adjust, adjustWithKey and alter, mostly because
of compatibility reasons, although I agree that their name is not
descriptive.

I am indifferent about insertLookupWithKey and updateLookupWithKey. It
would be nice to show that their implementation is really faster than
lookup+insert / lookup+update combo.

Cheers,
Milan