suggestion: use lazy pattern matching for Monoid instances of tuples

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 16:14:54 CEST 2013

With foldMap one can have structures that get to explicitly reuse previous
intermediate results.

e.g.
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/compressed/3.0.3/doc/html/Data-Compressed-Internal-LZ78.htmlgives
you a list with a more efficient fold by using LZ78 to identify
sharing with earlier parts of the list.

With foldr you can't exploit such regularity as you can merely append one
element at a time.

Less drastically, with foldMap, you can binary search a tree structure if
the foldMap preserves the original associativity of the structure.

The lens package uses this to navigate to keys in a Zipper over a Map to a
given key in O(log n) time borrowing the asymptotics from the balance of
the underlying structure.

In my current work I'm using "sequence-algebras" and "sequence-trees" to
exploit even more structure than foldMap gives me.

I'll probably write up an article at some point soon on the School of
Haskell.

-Edward