Proposal: Improving the IsString String instance

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 19:41:27 CEST 2013

I think Henning's suggestion makes a lot of sense.  It's syntactically
light-weight, requires *no* special compiler or language support, and is
quite flexible, being available per-use instead of per-module as is the
case for OverloadedStrings.  The only drawback I see (and it's a moderately
big one) is that there appears to already be a lot of inertia towards
OverloadedStrings, and this would require yet another shift in the Haskell
ecosystem.  That and the possibility of identifier clashes, of course...