Proposal: Improving the IsString String instance

Gabriel Gonzalez gabriel439 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 21:37:00 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Dag Odenhall <dag.odenhall at gmail.com>wrote:

> Let's also make number literals monomorphic to Integer and provide an n
> :: Num a => Integer -> a!

I'm guessing this is sarcastic, but I just want to clarify what I
understood Henning's proposal to be.  He's not saying we should provide an
`o` function in the standard library, but rather encourage users to define
their own.  This one liner would take the place of the current line that
they devote right now to `OverloadedStrings` .

However, the analogy is still apt since the exact same line of reasoning
applies to overloaded numeric literals where we currently rely on
defaulting to solve this problem.