Proposal: Improving the IsString String instance

Dan Burton danburton.email at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 22:09:00 CEST 2013

Just to throw another curveball at this conversation, what about a general,
ad-hoc solution for 'typeclass defaults'? The logic goes like this: Is
there an "ambiguous type variable" error due to the use of the IsString
typeclass? Try defaulting to the String instance. If that doesn't work, try
defaulting to Text. Repeat for a finite, explicit list of instances. If
none of these defaults are successful, type error.

We have hard-coded this sort of behavior into the Num class. Why not just
provide this general capability for arbitrary classes? Or at least
hard-code it into IsString as well.

In the absence of this sort of solution, +1 to Edward's original proposal.

The "o" proposal is not viable because the oft-needed parens make it
confusing and irritating to the new Haskeller.

-- Dan Burton