[commit: unix] master: change notes (1461d21)

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sat Feb 9 00:20:22 CET 2013

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 01:56:28PM +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:

> Actually, having just tried to do this, I'm not sure how it's meant to
> work in practice.
>
> Bumping unix's version requires relaxing the dependencies in Cabal and
> haskeline on unix. One way to do this is to get upstream to relax the
> dependency and updating our lagging repo. That will mean a version of
> the library will be uploaded to hackage with the relaxed dependency. But
> we don't know what the release 2.7.0.0 of unix will look like yet;

Right, that's why you don't release the modified Cabal and haskeline
packages to Hackage until a new release of GHC. Or if you do so, then you
must bump the version of 'unix' again when you apply new modifications.

> perhaps by the time it is released it will not work with the current
> Cabal/haskeline code.
>
> The other way is to make local ghc-only changes to relax the
> dependencies, but that would increase the risk that we'd release with a
> ghc branch of the library by mistake.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to go back to the previous scheme, where we didn't
> update version numbers until release time?

No, because with the old scheme there were two different versions of the
same package with the same version number. That is, there was unix-2.6 on
Hackage and unix-2.6 in a nightly build, but both archives had different
content.