Haskell Platform proposal: Add case-insensitive and Haskell 98/2010 compliance

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Jan 14 18:20:04 CET 2013

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013, Ben Millwood wrote:

> goal for your live-sequencer? Would the live-sequencer benefit particularly
> from use of the case-insensitive package? Would making the case-insensitive
> package Haskell2010 enable it to work with your interpreter immediately?

  My answer is no, and I think it is the wrong question. My point was, that
case-insensitive can easily be made both Haskell98/2010 and thus improve -
the same way the "split" package improved by removing the GADT when it was
added to the platform.
  I had actual problems when trying to do something sensible with JHC. It
meant that I had to inspect and "fix" a lot of packages at once before
seeing anything running. Not very encouraging when you try a different
compiler.
  FlexibleInstances are not necessary for defining instances on Strings and
if a package enters the platform it is a good opportunity to fix that.
Platform packages also play a role as packages where beginners look first
when they want to learn how to program real-world Haskell.

> That all said, I do have my own concerns with case-insensitive. Particularly,
> it provides an instance FoldCase ByteString, implicitly treating ByteStrings
> as text, which I believe should be discouraged.

I think it should import ByteString.Char instead of ByteString.