Proposal: splitting the network package

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Thu Jan 17 13:22:42 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Graham Klyne <GK at ninebynine.org> wrote:

> If Haskell Platform is to be a serious contender for web applications
> generally, I claim it MUST have a good URI implementation.  And URIs are
> about far more than just HTTP, so I think simply treating them as part of
> HTTP doesn't entirely hack it;  they also underpin aspects of XML and
> linked data applications, somewhat independently of HTTP.

My point above was: there is not any single implementation of URI that is
worthy of canonization, including the existing one in Network.URI, and
moving the current code into HTTP (which is already itself pretty
weird/nonstandard, and a prime candidate for replacement IMO) would offer a
gentle glide path for users of the existing API.

Until someone writes a decent URI library that we can bless, I'd argue that
we shouldn't provide anything specifically in the platform.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>