Haskell Platform proposal: Add case-insensitive

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 00:36:01 CET 2013

On 11 January 2013 21:00, Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First: Bas, would you support making case-insensitive a Haskell platform
> package?
>
> Assuming you say yes, I'd like to propose it for inclusion in the Haskell
> platform. The wiki page for this proposal is here:
>
>     http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/Proposals/case-insensitive
>
> And the case-insensitive package can be found on Hackage:
>
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/package/case-insensitive
>
> If Bas is not willing to have case-insensitive be a platform package I will
> rescind the proposal.
>
> Any proposals for deadlines? Mark?
> --
> Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>

I just realized one complication: case-insensitive depends on hashable
which is not in the HP.

I think hashable should also be proposed for the HP:

* Solves a general need.

* 66 direct reverse dependencies on Hackage:
http://packdeps.haskellers.com/reverse/hashable

* Used by unordered-containers which IIRC is going to be merged with
containers (which is in the HP) in some point in the future.

* Simple and short API.

* Very well documented.

* Optimized for speed.

* Has benchmarks.

* Has a test-suite.

The only function which could be controversial is:

hash :: Hashable a => a -> Int

since that function could give different results on different
application runs when the environment variable HASHABLE_SALT is set to
"random". However since this behavior is configurable and not the
default I don't think it's an issue.

Bas