Proposal: Non-allocating way to iterate over a Data.Map: traverseWithKey_

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 20:34:55 CEST 2013

Well, with Haskell we *depend* on optimizations, right?  It's a not a
performance-by-construction, but rather
performance-by-awesome-rewriting-and-other-tricks approach.

I set -O2 for my packages, mostly.  But I imagine that since it is NOT the
default ~/.cabal/config setting, that most people installing Haskell
packages are getting the default (-O0), and most packages are not
specifying otherwise.  In fact, Hackage specifically discourages you when
you upload a package with -O2 set!

Anyway, personally I don't care much about -O0 performance.  But I do get a
little nervous when radical changes in asymptotic complexity (rather than
just constant factors) come from optimization settings.  For example, as an
idiom, "forM_ [1..10^9] $ ..." makes me extremely nervous as opposed to
writing a proper non-allocating for-loop construct.