Make Prelude's map = fmap

Clifford Beshers clifford.beshers at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 23:28:00 CEST 2013

This proposal is always loudly shouted down by teachers and textbook
authors who want to keep things simple and consistent.  While I'm
sympathetic, I think they've been going about it the wrong way.

I don't care deeply about fmap=map, but I am opposed to preserving the
prelude in amber for teaching purposes.

Instead, I believe the teachers need to create their own requirements for a
beginner's mode, and that we add long-term support for that with a few
widely-published features.

For example:

> {-# LANGUAGE BeginnerMode #-}
> import BeginnerPrelude

plus a web page at haskell.org that every author could point to that would
detail any changes.

Any book could remain relevant simply by updating a page linked to this
site with relevant updates.  These might include changes to the
BeginnerPrelude as well as current help on transitioning from Beginner to
the current full prelude.