Proposal: Add the unordered-containers package and the hashable package to the Haskell Platform

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 20 16:47:48 CET 2013

OK.  I think a reasonable approach would be the following:

 - add hashable-1.1 (ie., without SipHash) to the platform
 - later create a new release of hashable, that is fast by default and
provides SipHash functionality via a newtype wrapper (or it could be a
new package that defines the newtype and all the standard instances)

What's important is that the default behaviour (fast vs. secure) won't
change in a later version of the platform.

We should also make it clear that hashable (even with siphash) does
not aim to implement secure hashing. I.e., no replacement for proper
HMACs, SHA1, etc.