Proposal: Add the unordered-containers package and the hashable package to the Haskell Platform

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 15:36:34 CET 2013

On 21 March 2013 06:54, wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org> wrote:
> One concern with the above approach: is "siphash" a sufficiently generic
> name, or is it just one hashing method that happens to deflect this DoS
> issue? I haven't read the paper, so...

One could of course generalize the above method using something like:

-- A type hashed as h
newtype Hashed h a = Hashed a

instance (HashableAs h a) => Hashable (Hashed h a) where
  hashWithSalt = hashWithSaltAs

class HashableAs h a where
  hashWithSaltAs :: Int -> Hashed h a -> Int

data Sip

sip :: a -> Hashed Sip a
sip = Hashed

instance HashableAs Sip Text where
  hashWithSaltAs salt (Hashed x) = sipHashWithSalt salt x

instance HashableAs Sip ByteString where

Regards,

Bas