Burning bridges

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Thu May 23 13:50:22 CEST 2013

+1 Generalize Prelude.mapM etc
-1 Remove Prelude.mapM etc
-1 Add more monomorphic variants to Prelude (e.g. whenJust)
-1 Do nothing

I do not know how the 3rd proposal came about.  The discussion, that
started with added whenJust, did not talk about adding it to the
*Prelude*.

We do not need more stuff in the Prelude.  We do not want Prelude to
generate import conflicts.

At the same time, I think backward compatibility is important.  (Cf. the
'catch' disaster.)  Generalization is backward-compatible (for
type-correct programs that do not exploit type inference to the maximum).

+1 for adding whenJust to Control.Monad or Data.Maybe or so.

Cheers,
Andreas

On 22.05.2013 14:12, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 11:49:29AM +0800, John Lato wrote:
>>
>> I suggest that we start a poll for a single, concrete proposal.  If the
>> poll forum is by email or similar, I further suggest that replies be
>> limited strictly to +1/-1.
>
> I think there are 4 things it has been suiggested that we might do:
> * Generalise Prelude.mapM etc
> * Remove Prelude.mapM etc
> * Add more monomorphic variants to Prelude (e.g. whenJust)
> * Nothing
>
> If we're going to have a poll, then I think it should allow people to
> rank all the options. +1/-1 ona single option would only give a sense of
> whether an option is prefered to doing nothing, not whether it is the
> best option.
>

> Thanks
> Ian

Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY

andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/