Pointed [Re: 2014 Applicative => Monad proposal]

Edward A Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri May 24 19:56:58 CEST 2013

This is precisely the situation I am referring to when I mention ad hoc casewise reasoning.

What laws say that 'foldMap point' does anything useful? Given just the type signature what reasoning can you do?

Without knowing the particular instances involved, you get nothing.

With Set you get a glued together Set, but Maybe is going to try to smash together the elements under the Maybe with some extra Semigr^H^H^H^H^H^HMonoid.

Pointed requires ad hoc reasoning for virtually every use case. The only law you can state for it is a free theorem for its type.

On the other hand with classes like Apply or Bind you get access to lots of useful semigroup-like structures you can still reason about in general, not in particular, including things that can't be made Applicative/Monadic. (e.g. IntMap).