Using lenses

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss
Thu Oct 3 04:08:55 UTC 2013

Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> writes:

> Friends

snip

> The use-case everyone starts with is nested records, but I'd like to go beyond that.  The next levels seem to be:
>
> *         Lenses as views of data that isn't "really there" e.g. regarding a record with rectangular coordinates as having polar coordinates too.

Along these lines, I've found lenses to be quite useful in providing a
means of peering into and modifying packed binary data structures and
bitfields. One example would be lines 50 - 100 of this module[1].

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://github.com/bgamari/hphoton/blob/master/hphoton-fpga-timetagger/HPhoton/FpgaTimetagger.hs#L50