Proposal: GHC.Generics marked UNSAFE for SafeHaskell

Ryan Newton rrnewton
Sun Oct 6 21:32:25 UTC 2013

Hi all,

We had a discussion on haskell-cafe, which only confirmed the unreliability
of "Eq" and "Ord".  Fine.  But if I instead want to define a SafeEq class
and instances based on GHC.Generics, then I can't have users writing
Generic instances that lie about the structure of their types.

But as you can see this module is currently marked "Trustworthy":

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.4.1/html/libraries/ghc-prim-0.2.0.0/GHC-Generics.html

I simply propose that this is changed to "Unsafe"! [1]

*Context:*
The bottom line is that I believe in the Safe-Haskell mission here, and I
want to be able to deliver practical libraries that give a strong guarantee
that types can't be broken.   Currently, the
LVish<http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~rrnewton/papers/2013_07_LVish_quasiDet_working_draft.pdf>library
has one big hole in it because of this Eq/Ord limitation; the
problem is documented
here<http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~rrnewton/haddock/lvish/Control-LVish.html#g:1>
.
   If we can provide incontrovertible Safe-Haskel guarantees, this is a
huge, qualitative difference compared to what's possible in the C++, Java's
and MLs of the world.  There are plenty of libraries that provide
guarantees like "deterministic parallelism" IFF the user does everything
right and breaks no rules (CnC, Pochoir, etc).  But we can do better!

Best,
  -Ryan

[1]  Small detail... some of these bindings, like the class name "Generic"
itself, will still need to be accessible from a Trustworthy library.  I
propose GHC.Generics.Safe for that, following existing precedent.