Flipped function application

Wvv vitea3v
Thu Oct 10 06:29:05 UTC 2013

Thank you very much!

We could divide negative arguments :

1) Aesthetic ugliness.

Flipped function application is a part of Haskell 98. And it is not more
ugly, then eta-reduction or currying.
I think Dynamic is much more ugly, but it is a part of Platform and it even
develops, and this is nice!
If (#) is so ugly, no one order to use it.

2) Flipped function application is so powerful, that everyone use it instead
of ($) and (.).

If we are looking at code, who use OCaml-Batteries code, no, it is still
OCaml, not Haskell.

3) At least newcomers use (#) instead of ($) and (.).

First, if we "hide" it in Data.Functions, then it is not so easy to find it.
Second, in any case, if newcomers use it and see, how Haskell is easy,
because Haskell code look like his/her favorite Java/C++/Ruby/... - I think
it is a big advantage, not a disadvantage at all.

4) Code with Flipped function application looks like OOP

"class" and "return" also looks like OOP and imperative programs.
If someone like OOP so much, that it use (#) and Haskell instead of
programming his favorite OOP language - this is nice!

Am I miss something?

Henning Thielemann wrote