Haskell Platform Proposal: add the 'aeson' library

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 18 13:26:24 CEST 2013

I'm also +1, though I'd strongly prefer that the instance for
ByteString gets dropped before inclusion.

The "don't do that" approach is not very Haskelly.  A Char8 ByteString
is the same type as a Word8 ByteString, so while you could argue that
Char8 is implicitly ASCII, the instance couldn't distinguish it from
Word8 ByteStrings where this doesn't make sense. Since JSON doesn't
have a standard way of encoding binary data
(utf8/base64/base64url/...), external JSON API often may use their own
convention, so it's best to require users to be explicit about
semantics.