Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Wed Apr 9 09:37:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Henning Thielemann <
schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> As far as I understand, Michael referred to the PVP and you, Gregory,
> refer to the Haskell Platform policy.

The first paragraph of which says: "we follow the Haskell Package
Versioning Policy".

And the PVP *does* say lots about version bounds, I don't understand where
Michael is coming from here. I quote, from the PVP:

When publishing a Cabal package, you should ensure that your dependencies
in the build-depends field are accurate. This means specifying not only
lower bounds, but also upper bounds on every dependency.

At some point in the future, Hackage may refuse to accept packages that do
not follow this convention. The aim is that before this happens, we will
put in place tool support that makes it easier to follow the convention and
less painful when dependencies are updated.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>