Proposal: Changes to the PVP

Gershom Bazerman gershomb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 23:51:12 UTC 2014

On 4/9/14, 5:13 PM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
> And this is where I think the PVP is doing a disservice with its
> current wording. Users have this expectation, but it doesn't actually
> hold up in reality. Reasons why it may fail include:
>
> * Typeclass instance leaking from transitive dependencies.
> * Module reexports leaking from transitive dependencies.
> * Someone made a mistake in an upload to Hackage (yes, that really
> does happy, and it's not that uncommon).
> * The package you depend on doesn't itself follow the PVP, or so on
> down the stack.
>
> So my point is: even though the *goal* of the PVP is to provide this
> guarantee, it *doesn't* provide this guarantee. Since we have a clear
> alternative that does provide this guarantee (version freezing), I
> think we should make it clear that the PVP does not solve all
> problems, and version freezing should be used.

Along the same lines I am concerned about the expectation of security
provided by SSL. As the recent Heartbleed bug shows, we have an
expectation that we have security, but this may fail in practice. As
such, even though the *goal* of SSL is to provide this guarantee, it
*doesn't* provide this guarantee, and furthermore it is a pain to comply
with, certificates are expensive, etc. Since we have a clear alternative
that does provide this guarantee (one-time-pads coupled with dead drops
and a system of code phrases), I think we should make it clear that
public key encryption does not solve all problems, and other techniques
should be used.

Cheers,
Gershom